frotz - An interpreter for all Infocom and other Z-machine games
FROTZ is an interpreter for all Infocom and other Z-machine games.
It complies with standard 1.0 of Graham Nelson's specification.
Originally written by Stefan Jokisch in 1995-1997.
Ported to Unix by Galen Hazelwood.
Reference code and Unix port currently maintained by David Griffith.
- Compiles and runs on most common flavors of Unix, both open source and not.
- Plays all Z-code games including V6.
- Old-style sound support through OSS driver.
- Config files.
- Configurable error checking.
- Uses of the Quetzal file format. Converting from old-style and Quetzal is
difficult if not impossible. As a result, you can't restore an old-style
save and then save your game in Quetzal.
- Optional speech synthesis and recognition through FLITE and Sphinx.
For information on what Interactive Fiction is and how to play it, see the
For information on the speech synthesis and recognition capabilities of
Frotz, see the file "SPEECH".
For information on known bugs in Frotz, see the file "BUGS".
- Add the Games repository:
# zypper addrepo http://widehat.opensuse.org/opensuse/repositories/games/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/ games
- Install frotz rpm package:
# zypper install frotz
2018-01-04 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Update to version 2.44
* NEW FEATURES
- Blorb support implemented. No support for audio in Blorb
- Added an -m option for Dumb Frotz to suppress the [MORE]
- Makefile and code for compiling for 16-bit DOS.
- DOS and Unix Frotz share same code base now.
* BUG FIXES
- Fixed a problem with saving and restoring in certain games
- Added some fflush() calls to make Dumb Frotz more suitable
for bot use.
- Removed old-style save support. It became hard to manage.
Only the Quetzal save file format is supported now.
- Fixed assorted minor 64-bitness problems.
- Makefile cleaned up.
- Add frotz-install-destdir.patch
* already-upstreamed fixes for installing to DESTDIR.
These were scrubbed out of the existing Makefile patch.
- Drop frotz-Makefile.patch
- Drop frotz-codecleanup.patch
- Add frotz-fix-no-return-nonvoid.patch
* fixes gcc warnings about unpredictable return paths. Fixed
- Do not ship INSTALL
- Update URL to working one
- Remove generic/redundant information from %description
2013-03-24 - email@example.com
- Corrected the license
2008-03-28 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Initial package.